Friday, March 10, 2006

Cornjerker Update!

A quick update on the Great American Mascot Hunt. My prayers were answered and we got some feedback from some honest-to-God Cornjerkers. We laughed, we cried, and we learned a valuable lesson about the true meaning of cornjerking. An anonymous Cornjerker informed us:

I grew up in Hoopeston. The often scrutinized name comes from kids heading into the cornfields after school to detassle corn, but your explanation is as good as any.
Also, IrishGuard (who I never would have pegged as a closet Cornjerker) tipped us off that Ohio State hoops coach Thad Matta has jerked some corn in his life (see the fourth paragraph down). Craziness. Who knows, maybe somebody close to you, someone you think you know very well, is a Cornjerker too.

Anyway, I've got to roll. I just whipped out my credit card and bought a ton of Cornjerker Merchandise. All of you readers who are on my Christmas list are in for quite a treat.

Maybe I'm really immature, but I find this little ditty to be unbelievably hysterical.



7 Comments:

At 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad I could help with the explanation (I posted the other night). Just so you know, the name "Cornjerker" was coined long before either of our grandparents were around, kids haven't gone into the fields for anything other than to get high and drink since the 40's. And you must know that although I grew up there, I can appreciate the absolute absurdity and hilarious-ness (not a word, but works) of the name. I could hook you up with some insanely funny stuff if you're really that inclined. You should know, the official name of the mascot is 'the jerky', I shit you not. And yes, Ohio State coach Thad Matta was on the 1985 Hoopeston High School basketball team. Ahhhh, the town's glory days, getting 3rd in state 2 years, hahaa. I do wish you would've posted my entire reply ncluding my appreciation of you're anthropomorphized vegetation, but that's ok. You need a 'contact me' section on your page, I'd email you some great sh*t.

 
At 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you'd like to see the Jerky in action, a great time to visit Hoopeston is during the annual Sweetcorn Festival, every year the weekend of Labor Day, sponsored by the Hoopeston Jaycees.

Decent index of things in Hoopeston:
Hoopeston.org

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger fightinamish said...

Anonymous-

Thanks for the websites, the Sweetcorn Festival is on my calendar, locked and loaded.

And I'm not joking.

 
At 7:34 AM, Anonymous IcePick said...

correction on the de-tasseling bit.
It was not detasseling that is called corn jerking, it is actually the harvesting - jerking the ripe ear of corn from the stalk.

here is a link from the District's web site.
http://www.hoopeston.k12.il.us/history.html

 
At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you really do come to the festival, make sure to get some Free, Hot Buttered sweetcorn.

Say hello to the people doing things in the background, one of them just might be me.

 
At 11:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems my post has prompted some replies (and corrections). Who could it be?

 
At 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, almost forgot... Someone actually said "If you want to see the Jerky in action" -- priceless! Even a Cornjerker can appreciate the humor in that statement.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home