Sunday, August 27, 2006

RIP, Damen Avenue Grille



Some tragic news for the editors of the House Rock Built this week. Typically, I try to keep my blogging life and my personal life separate, but when your favorite bar in the world is shut down and repossessed, well, things are just going to spill over, dammit. This place was a second home to me, and now that it's gone, I feel like a piece of me is gone too.

Any of you readers have a favorite bar in the world? If you do, I'd imagine you can relate to what I'm going through. Take a minute to drop a comment and let me know what your favorite bar is and why it's so memorable to you.

Tell 'em how I'm feeling, Bluto:



3 Comments:

At 4:08 AM, Anonymous Mighty Squirrel Kingdom said...

You have my total sympathy. My 'local' (as we call them here in England) was closed down in August 2005 after I'd spent the best part of 15 years worth of Saturday nights in The Albert drinking with my closest friends, watching soccer and listening to the collection of rock, reggae, punk, soul and jazz on the jukebox, which never worked as well as it should have done. The best night was when we accidently invited ourselves to a wedding reception - well, there was no notice on the door and the landlord didn't say anything!

The building was supposed to be torn down and replaced by apartments, but it's still there and there's now a petition to re-open the pub, although I'm not too optimistic about the process.

I can imagine the worst aspect of this for you, having been through this myself: if ND does as well as some of the wilder predictions indicate, you won't be able to celebrate success at your favourite bar. Once again, my sympathies.

 
At 7:28 AM, Anonymous pellee said...

Oh no, what is going to happen to Sue?

 
At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BOAT club in South Bend of course. They shut it down at the end of 1st semester in 2004 (my senior year). Things have never been the same since

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home