Monday, October 01, 2007

Canada... My God, Man... Canada! Imagine it!

I think all Irish fans have about the same attitude about this season that I do. We stink, but we knew we were going to stink. Things like the relative placement of worst starts in history, our NCAA ranking in offense, and bowl eligibility are really of no concern to me right now. All I'm interested in is seeing the young guys make a bit of progress throughout the season, this whale of a recruiting class to remain intact with the minimum of defections, and maybe possibly a couple wins to put in the record books.

Well, I guess that just changed about ten minutes ago. Now, I have a new, aggressive goal for the season and will be doing everything in my power to will the team to do this. We need six wins. Need them, need them, need them, need them. Not for bragging rights or for the historical legacy of the team or for arguing points about Weis' career or any of that petty bullshit. No, the reason that we need six wins is because of this link (turn your speakers to maximum volume before clicking):

http://www.internationalbowl.org



Yeah. That's the official webpage for the International Bowl, a bowl game with a glorious one year tradition that takes place in... wait for it... the fucking SkyDome!* Think about it.. an extra six weeks of practice for the young kids, and a trip to Canada! What's even better, the Maple Leafs are playing the Flyers that night at the Air Canada Centre nextdoor, which will make for a doubleheader that might very well rival the one I caught this weekend.

Please, please, please make this happen, Irish. This would, without a doubt, be the greatest bowl game road trip ever. Do it for the fans, do it for Gretzky, do it for Shatner, do it for Space Moose, just do it.

Oh, and since the game takes place on January 5, it will keep our January bowl streak alive. Hell yeah.

* You may know it as the Rogers Centre, but I refuse to acknowledge that name. It will always be the SkyDome to me.

Labels: ,