Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Some Penn State Talking Points

  • Joe Paterno is just chock full of bulletin board material... kind of. Take a quick listen to his press conference in anticipation of the Notre Dame game. So, tell me Joe, do you see imprints of Charlie Weis on this 2006 Notre Dame team?
    [pause] Well you know, I-I-I don't look at it that way. I, you know, Brady Quinn, you know, I look at Quinn, and I look at, uh, a couple of those kids that are, uh, I look at that wideout, uhhhh, whose name I can't pronounce. [snicker] I, uh, I, I'm sure he's not Italian, but [snicker], but I-I-I [fades off] McKnight [fades off] Hello?
    The audacity! Pin it up on the board, boys!



  • The treatment Paterno gets from his beloved fanbase is hysterical. While an Irish fan who wants to hear a Charlie Weis press conference can navigate to his team's site and get a transcribed version of the coach's words (Voila!), Paterno has, apparently, a person at scout.com whose job is to translate his senile ramblings into coherent statements, like this recap. After some tea-leaf reading, apparently the translator came up with this:
    Joe doesn't look at it that way. He looks at Brady Quinn and Jeff Samardzija along with McKnight. He's sure that Coach Weis has some kind of input with reads and so forth, but you look at the kids that are playing the game. Brady Quinn is obviously one of the best QBs in the country. With the wideouts they have, they're one of the most balanced teams in the country.
    Fascinating. I'm not sure how you go from paragraph A to paragraph B, but then again, I don't have a master's degree in Paternobonics.


  • Nevin O'Donnell "just threw together" this bad ass video about the 1992 Snow Bowl. You all know where you were when you saw this game. Well, all of us but Joe Paterno, who probably thought he was skiing in the Swiss Alps at the time.


    Such. A. Beautiful. Thing.