Wednesday, September 13, 2006

A Tale of Two Broadcasts

In a series categorized by dramatic and hearbreaking finishes, Harry Oliver's heroics in the 1980 Notre Dame - Michigan tilt holds its own special place in Irish lore. Into the teeth of a fierce wind, the freshman from Cincinnati, Ohio was charged with the suicidally impossible task of booting a 51 yard field goal with no time left for the win. The snap, the spot, the wobbly boot, and history is made.

Thanks to YouTube, we have access to both home teams' broadcast of the game, and the contrast is hilarious. One one end, you have fresh-faced newcomer Tony Roberts, whose long and legendary career was just beginning (if I remember his interview with Mike Frank correctly, this was the first Notre Dame game he ever broadcasted). In the other booth, another legend in grizzled veteran Bob Ufer, who was entering the twilight of his career that spanned nearly four decades. While Roberts sounds like he's going to blow all the capillaries in his brain, Ufer sounds like an old man that has just been scissorkicked in the groin, as he audibly deflates, forgets where he is, and loses all will to live right on the broadcast.

Tony Roberts

Bob Ufer

And Notre Dame wins 30 to 29. And Notre Dame wins 30 to 27. And Notre Dame wins 29 to 27. Christ, I can't find it. To hell with it!.

Labels: , , ,


At 10:21 PM, Blogger The College Game said...

Ever have one of those moments where your laughing so damn hard you can't breathe? Seriously. Now, I would have been four years old so sue me, but I have NEVER heard either broadcast. Effing hilarious. Oh good lord, my wife is ready to rush me to the ER as I gasp for air. Good times!

At 9:20 AM, Blogger Wayne said...

"You can't say 'goddamn' on the air!"

"Don't worry, nobody's listening anyway..."

At 9:35 AM, Blogger Irish Nut said...

Hey my fellow Irish Nuts.
Saw live player interviews, Charlie’s and Joe Pa’s press conferences after the game LIVE on, pretty cool stuff.

At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL another NBC 'viral' advertiser?

Just tell the blogs- its good news you don't have to ninja it in.

At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Sean Fitzgerald said...

Irish Nut,

Um, we're going to watch the game on NBC anyway, so why are you here?

Are you looking for GE employess goofing off?


At 6:36 PM, Anonymous USDIrish said...

FYI, 29 to 27 Notre Dame over Michigan was the final score, per
in the section 'Remember These Names'.


At 11:01 PM, Anonymous Dave V said...

Growing up a Michigan fan I remember my parents talking about this! In the retelling it was usually a "SIXTY YARD FIELD GOAL INTO THE WIND." I didn't catch any of the game with Penn State, but has NBC dropped the soft focus, Stevie Nicks filter on the cameras?

At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

bob ufer is a legend

At 4:11 AM, Anonymous usdirish said...

I'm an ass. I was at work, so I could not watch/listen. Now I get the last line. Cheers.

At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at this game, and never heard either call. Hilarious. The big play on the drive was a long pass interference call on Michigan, on a desperation heave from Blair Kiel. Bo's head almost exploded. That's what got them in position for Oliver's kick.

Michigan student newspaper headline:
Michigan 27, Notre Dame 26, God 3


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home