Tuesday, January 30, 2007

We Now Have Four Smiths in Our Linebacking Corps, All We Need Now is a Morrissey

I came home from school one day in tears with a bloody nose. See, the local bully had demanded my lunch money, and upon refusal to fork over the goods, he clocked me right in the mug and swiped my cash while I was writhing on the ground. After patching me up and drying away my tears, my old man looked me in the eye and told me to suck it up. Real men don't cry when they get bullied around, they pick themselves up, march back onto the playground, and find an even smaller kid and beat the hell out of him and take his lunch money.

A couple days later the police raided our house and took him back to jail after a frantic 48 hour manhunt.

But look at me getting all nostalgic. Anyway, the point of this story is that when Urban Meyer comes into your house and pushes you around, Charlie Weis took it like a man and went nextdoor to Iowa to steal one of their best defensive recruits. Notre Dame scored a verbal commitment from linebacker Brian Smith, who backed out of his prior commitment to the University of Iowa to play ball with the Irish. Smith is a legacy (his father, Chris, was a fullback for Notre Dame back in the day) who apparently has wanted to go to ND since day one, but was just now offered a scholarship. He's got some good natural talent and will add depth to a linebacker position that can use all the talent we can find.

This brings the grand total of Smiths on our defense to four, with linebackers Scott Smith and Toryan Smith on the roster, plus incoming freshman Harrison Smith slated to come next fall. Suffice to say, we're going to have to make an exception to the "Strip naked and sing Neil Diamond" tradition for announcing a new recruit and fire up some Morrissey.


Please, please, please let us get a Defensive Lineman. Lord knows, it would be the first time.


UPDATE: Morrissey-philes, you might find my latest post on The Fanhouse to be right in your wheelhouse.

Labels: , , , , ,